Last weekend I was supposed to go to Carabasset Valley in Maine for two days of mountain biking, but that didn’t end up happening. My boyfriend felt like he was on the verge of coming down with something, and we decided that the 5 hour drive each way plus intense physical activity was the last thing needed. So we had a pretty chill weekend at home- a rare weekend with no plans, since we didn’t expect to be home. But (so far) neither of us has come down with something, which means it was worth it.
The changing of the seasons in spring and fall is the time I am most likely to get sick and this year one of my fall goals is to stay healthy. It’s not the most exciting of goals, but it does make such a difference. There are so many things I want to do in fall, and being stuck at home is not one of them. So I’m going to fight back. Here is my arsenal of homeopathic remedies that I pull out whenever I start to feel a tickle in my throat, a hint of a fever or weakness.
- Sleep- sometimes a couple nights of 8+ hours of sleep is enough to get me feeling normal again.
- Lemon Ginger Tea- The ginger warms me up and the lemon is a nice hit of vitamin C. I usually have homemade as I don’t think the tea bags are nearly as potent.
- Yogi Tea’s Cold Season Sampler– Mostly I like the Throat Coat one, but I also like the Echinacea tea, and I do drink the other two kinds…eventually.
- Epsom Salt Bath- I usually use Epsom salts for sore muscles, but I find the combination of hot steam and the salts often makes me feel better.
- Neti pot– It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of using a neti pot, but now I swear by it whenever I start to feel under the weather or during allergy season. I even bring a travel one with me whenever I go on a plane since that is such a common time to get sick.
- Thieves Oil– I travel with this as well and feel like the oils help prevent illness and open up my sinuses. The backstory to this one is weird- legend has is that in the 15th century in France, there was a band of thieves who robbed the dead and used this blend of oils so as not to become infected with the illness that killed their victims. Weird, eh?
- Boiron’s Oscillococcium– I swear this stuff is magic. I take at the first sign of a fever or chills and it seems to just help me fight it off.
- Avena Botanicals– I use the Schisandra Berry for preventative care, then switch to the Elderberry one if I actually feel ill.
- Urban Moonshine– The Immune Tonic, Throat Spray, and Digestive Bitters are all in heavy rotation for me.
Wish me luck- I’m traveling for work this week and will be on a plane, in a convention center, and working long hours. I’ve packed a number of these items with me though so hopefully I’ll be just fine.